Keyboard updates

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 11:15 am
dawnmist: My homebuilt gaming keyboard - version 1 (Default)

I've been spending a lot of time simply using the keyboard over the last few months - enough that the 8-way thumbswitch became quite unreliable (forward was intermittent, and it kept "hesitating" in the middle of jumps causing me to miss the next platform and die in jumping puzzles).

I decided to switch to using an analogue joystick instead (much easier to replace when it gets worn out - there's a lot more of them around), and resolve the X/Y measurements into the 8-way digital locations. After a week or so of use, I'm finding it more accurate than the old digital switch was (though I had to glue the joystick cap on first, otherwise I kept flipping it off the joystick in dungeons/tougher fights).

This pulled the directional keys out of the shift-register key matrix, effectively freeing up 8 button locations. One of those locations has now been reused as a second foot switch (because I had two), leaving me with 7 pins for future expansion. I haven't really established what keypress I'll set the second footswitch to send yet - the first one is used for push-to-talk in mumble (our guild's voice chat).

I've also done some work optimizing the data writes to the LCD using sets of consecutive pins on the C&D or B&D ports, and reordered the wiring to my teensy 3 to match the B&D option. The patches to enable that are available in the Teensy Forum thread where the UTFT library was being discussed here: I set it up so that there were options to use ports C&D (fastest as it's only 2 write cycles to set all pins in the 16-bit data bus, but interferes with SPI), B&D (uses 3 write cycles, compatible with SPI), and the old "set the pins you want to use" which uses 16 write cycles.

dawnmist: My homebuilt gaming keyboard - version 1 (Default)

I've been doing a lot of work again the last month on my upgrade from using a Teensy 2++ with monochrome screen to a Teensy 3 with Colour TFT + SD Card + Touch, and it's now coming together nicely.

Read more... )

So there's still lots to keep me busy, but in the mean time - the basics are now all there and working together well enough to ditch the Teensy 2++ controller for the keyboard and move across to using the Teensy 3 controller full-time!

dawnmist: My homebuilt gaming keyboard - version 1 (Default)

I made a lot of progress on the Teensy 3.0 upgrade/rewrite of my right-handed programmable game keypad over the weekend. It's still not ready to replace the Teensy 2++ control board yet - and has a *long* way to go - but the new hardware is mainly connected and functioning.

Read more... )
dawnmist: My homebuilt gaming keyboard - version 1 (Default)

I received my Teensy 3.0 controllers in the mail last week, so I could finally start on version 2 of my programmable right-hand gaming keypad (designed to sit under my right hand because my mouse is on the left - my right shoulder doesn't tolerate mouse movements). I got the real time clock working, then the sd card...but for the life of me I simply couldn't get the Tft screen to work.

Read more... )

All that frustration/hair tearing out was due to an incorrect specification of the controller on the tft. Just in case someone else comes across it, if you bought a 3.2" tft from ebay claiming to use the HX8347-A controller and it just won't work, try treating it as the SSD1289 controller instead - it seems that some ebay sellers have been listing their tfts as having the wrong controller chip!


dawnmist: My homebuilt gaming keyboard - version 1 (Default)

February 2017



RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Wednesday, September 20th, 2017 03:43 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios