Woohoo! The keyboard is now assembled in the box, and most of the back panel connectors/switches are in place (it's just the foot switch connections that are currently missing). This means I now have a portable, customised-for-me gaming keypad *cheers*.( Pics and discussion behind the cut )
My circuit board arrived today, and on initial inspection looks good. I got lucky and received 3 copies of the board. There are one or two minor blemishes in the flood-fill ground copper, but all of them are in large areas and not in places where there were tracks or anything critical, so those won't matter.
Fits nicely in the box, the keys mount properly (not so tight that you have to force them, but firm enough that it takes a bit of pressure and the posts will lock them in place and prevent rotation), the Teensy fits (plugged in from underneath), and the connectors fit well.
Next thing is to actually get the components soldered onto the board - and find out whether I screwed up the circuit...We did try really hard to check it before sending it off to be made though, so I'm hoping it all just works. :-)
So, it's been several months since I first said I was having fun doing the circuit board layout...and after a few iterations/revisions I finally got an order for two copies of the board submitted today.( Read more... )
Having had several more months of playing around with circuit layout now, I'll confirm my initial impressions - it's a fantastic puzzle to solve, which makes it something I found really fun to do!
I spent most of the weekend (when I wasn't blinded by a migraine) laying out a (potential) circuit board for my home-made keyboard. At the moment, it's still wired up via breadboard taking up a ton of space on my desk - I'd like to finally get it inside the keyboard box. :-)
First attempt was a daughter board for the shift-register part to connect to the existing keys...but wasn't going to fit the teensy & 40-pin screen connector in the space at the end as well, which would still leave some of the keyboard parts sitting outside the box.
Second attempt was a complete replacement of the existing key mount for the 24-key section of the keyboard, integrating them onto a single circuit board so that the teensy & screen could go on the other side of the keys, and the keys could be directly wired to their shift registers instead of needing connectors for them - that looks a *lot* better in terms of wiring, and has all laid out nicely so far. I've still got a few adjustments to make - the joystick needs wiring in, and there's a couple of resistors we need to add as short-circuit protections for the footswitch & spare button connectors, but it's looking like it'll work nicely.
I discovered that circuit board layout is a really interesting and fun puzzle to do...and one that will actually be useful at the end, which traditional jigsaws generally are not! *lol*
I've been spending a lot of time simply using the keyboard over the last few months - enough that the 8-way thumbswitch became quite unreliable (forward was intermittent, and it kept "hesitating" in the middle of jumps causing me to miss the next platform and die in jumping puzzles).
I decided to switch to using an analogue joystick instead (much easier to replace when it gets worn out - there's a lot more of them around), and resolve the X/Y measurements into the 8-way digital locations. After a week or so of use, I'm finding it more accurate than the old digital switch was (though I had to glue the joystick cap on first, otherwise I kept flipping it off the joystick in dungeons/tougher fights).
This pulled the directional keys out of the shift-register key matrix, effectively freeing up 8 button locations. One of those locations has now been reused as a second foot switch (because I had two), leaving me with 7 pins for future expansion. I haven't really established what keypress I'll set the second footswitch to send yet - the first one is used for push-to-talk in mumble (our guild's voice chat).
I've also done some work optimizing the data writes to the LCD using sets of consecutive pins on the C&D or B&D ports, and reordered the wiring to my teensy 3 to match the B&D option. The patches to enable that are available in the Teensy Forum thread where the UTFT library was being discussed here: http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/18002-
I've been doing a lot of work again the last month on my upgrade from using a Teensy 2++ with monochrome screen to a Teensy 3 with Colour TFT + SD Card + Touch, and it's now coming together nicely.( Read more... )
So there's still lots to keep me busy, but in the mean time - the basics are now all there and working together well enough to ditch the Teensy 2++ controller for the keyboard and move across to using the Teensy 3 controller full-time!
I made a lot of progress on the Teensy 3.0 upgrade/rewrite of my right-handed programmable game keypad over the weekend. It's still not ready to replace the Teensy 2++ control board yet - and has a *long* way to go - but the new hardware is mainly connected and functioning.( Read more... )
I received my Teensy 3.0 controllers in the mail last week, so I could finally start on version 2 of my programmable right-hand gaming keypad (designed to sit under my right hand because my mouse is on the left - my right shoulder doesn't tolerate mouse movements). I got the real time clock working, then the sd card...but for the life of me I simply couldn't get the Tft screen to work.( Read more... )
All that frustration/hair tearing out was due to an incorrect specification of the controller on the tft. Just in case someone else comes across it, if you bought a 3.2" tft from ebay claiming to use the HX8347-A controller and it just won't work, try treating it as the SSD1289 controller instead - it seems that some ebay sellers have been listing their tfts as having the wrong controller chip!